The attainment of this objective is achieved through the development of activities that:
- Promote and assure quality within the Basque University System, regarding the Spanish, European, and International frames.
- Contribute in the improvement of the quality of the Basque University System.
- Inform society about the outcome of the activities of the Agency.
- Provide information and criteria for the public services, universities, and other educational and scientific-technologic stakeholders for their decision-making processes relating the duties entrusted to the agency.
The Agency was created under Article 79 of Law 3/2004 on the Basque University System. On April 4th 2005 its Administrative Board was formed, which approved the statutes of Uniqual on June 1st 2006; these were published on June 10th 2006. In the year 2009, a process of changes was started in the Agency in order to adapt its statutes to the European Criteria and Directives for quality assurance agencies. As a result the Statutes of the Agency were changed and the new name of UNIBASQ was adopted. Following these changes, the Act 13/2012 of 28 June 2012 governing Unibasq – the Agency for the Quality of the Basque University System was published on the 4th of July of 2012.
- Organic Act on universities – recast text (Spanish).
- Act 3/2004, of 25 February 2004, of the Basque University System (Spanish/Basque).
- Act 13/2012 of 28 June 2012 governing Unibasq
- Decree 204/2013, of April 16th, approving the Statutes of Unibasq – the Agency for the Quality of the Basque University System (Spanish).